Thursday 15 June 2023

DFI Week 8 Reflection: Computational Thinking

 

Dorothy shared about the fourth valued kaupapa word of "Empowered". Empowerment equals choice. Part of our job as an educator is to empower our learners. I hope that over the 18 years of my teaching career that I have empowered most if not, all of the learners I've taught in Digital fluency. The use of Digital tools is to empower our learners. 


This above quote from Matt has made me think of my practice especially online and how I can empower my learners to choose to do the work I set them. It's made me consider the idea of "Le Vā". The Vā (Pasifika terminology) translates to the space between us. If my relationships with my learners are strong then the space between us will be one where they would try to complete all set tasks online and if not have conversations with me, as to why or why not.


It's quite interesting to listen to Vicki share about technologies that are out there now. She started with the Jetsons (cartoon tv programme from the early 1980s). It showed a family that were talking via video chat/ FaceTime and had microwaves, flying cars, mobile phones etc. How cool is it that some of that tech was talked about in this show in now present. However, there are some bias and challenges of artificial intelligence (AIs) algorithms. 
Chat GPT and AI with Geoff Bentley from OMG Tech. He talked to us about what he does and some of the AI that we could use. We created a ChatGPT account. I'm a bit wary about AI but I've heard good things about Chat GPT especially how teachers can use it to generate report comments. He was very knowledgable and passionate about AI and how it's used and where it is heading in our beautiful country especially amongst our learners. I need time to explore ChatGPT.

Digital Fluency is a support required for effective, teaching planning, assessment and professional learning. Digital Technologies curriculum has been revamped because of the language it had been using. I think a lot of what we do in our classrooms and as part of the DFI programme covers a lot of the what the curriculum has already.

After exploring the TKI Technology site, I've noted I've taught quite a few of the lessons in my classroom over the years.

Donna shared the Hapara Hot Tip using the Highlights. I thought I was familiar with this function until I saw this slide for Guide Browsing. It can filter sites and you can do this for how long that students access these sites too. I didn't know you could schedule messages either. I thought this was very cool!

We were given some time to explore some coding sites. I haven't done any coding for a while. I am familiar with Scratch and Code Combat. They are very cool sites and I will have to explore these with my learners back in the classroom. You can find my example that I created today with Louise using https://studio.code.org/courses below.  

I've enjoyed my journey with DFI this term. Most of the tasks I have covered through my time at Point England School but it was great to connect and learn more about what others are doing and using in their classrooms. Thank you, Fakaaue lahi, Fa'afetai Dorothy, Vicki, Donna and everyone else that was part of the DFI programme happening across the motu (country). How awesome for our learners and our kaiako! I'm so glad I kept my professional blog too.

1 comment:

  1. Fakalofa lahi atu Priscilla,
    Great to read about your DFI journey.
    You bring such richness to our Manaiakalani Network with your experience and the way to are willing to keep learning.
    ChatGPT will be a great next step to explore. I look forward to seeing what happens in your classroom.

    Nonofo ā mutolu kia,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete